Sunday, August 7

Shedding for the Wedding: The Dreaded Diet

It wasn't so long ago that I would be ashamed to admit feeling like my favorite Ben & Jerry's flavor, Chunky Monkey.


{For the girls of the night chat!} / Image via Flickr / Photo credit: cromatophobe


Food is an easier control for me than exercise. I know you need both, but a girl can only accomplish so much in a day. 


{Eye on the prize - lol!} / Image via In This Week

I've attempted several popular DIY diet trends of their primetime, including Atkins and the South Beach Diet. Counting calories feels like micromanagement to me. Counting carbs is a little easier, though not by much. I've even used the GNC 7-day cleanse to jump-start healthy eating habits. Through it I learned to love soy milk and wean off caffeine, yay! [For the record: these are not endorsements, just sharing my trials.] 

Herein lies the challenge -- these programs are so darn hard to maintain beyond a few months. I slim down and then my enthusiasm wanes. Bad eating habits and lack of exercise slowly take over again and I'm back to where I started


{'Nuff said.} / Image via Prime Physique


With W-Day looming only 8 weekends away, I'm lovingly telling myself that an intervention is in order. DIY won't work for me this time. My goal is realistic and achievable, I just need assistance getting there.

AHA! Here's the main life lesson reinforced to me through wedding planning: I don't have to have all the answers and do everything myself. Whether it's invitations or flowers or losing weight, it's okay to ask for help and to allow other people to take care of me. Sweet relief!

So here I am with my fiancee fifteen, ready to take a leap of faith into the next level of weight loss program - the in-person commercial center. That's right, I'm talking about Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig.
Image via Pusatlpse


I have no experience with a program like one of these, so Google suggested a comparison on livestrong.com:


"With Weight Watchers, the target dieter is someone who needs a more moderately priced way to lose weight, paired with the comfort and support of a large group to stay motivated. With Jenny Craig, dieters who will do best are those who want to lose weight without making special foods or counting calories. A one-on-one counselor provides support for someone who needs a more personalized plan."

Alrighty then. I'm finding the basic difference to be group support and tracking calories through a point system vs. individual support and pre-packaged meals. As an introvert with no interest in counting calories, it seems my choice is clear.


Now it's your turn to share. . .if weight management is part of your daily regimen, which program works best for you? Do you prefer to DIY, use the internet, or go the in-person route?

No comments:

Post a Comment