Tuesday, October 25

PRE-CAP: Dress #1 - Before Vera came Enzoani

I cannot tell you how relieved I feel to finally share the story of my dress search! Even still I find myself trying to hide the computer from Mr. Hot Tea so he won't catch a peek. DOH - we're married now silly Teacup, it's okay.


Let's rewind back a year ago. Just after getting engaged, we chose a date for our ceremony at the Carmel Mission Basilica. I had completed the Catholic catechism and was baptized, confirmed and received my first communion at that altar during Easter 2009. It only seemed logical to want to get married there, and I needed a dress to stand up to the grandeur.


Photo credit: Karlo M. Leonor

Dutifully following Randy Fenoli's advice of bridal homework, I poured over thousands of gowns in magazines and on theknot.com. I learned the recommended silhouettes for my body type and paid careful attention to my bookmarked styles. Maybe through process of elimination I'd figure out what I wanted. OCD, much?


Hindsight 20/20, I now know to listen for the little inner self who felt whirly-twirly over a beauty by Priscilla of Boston. She was all wrong for me and the Mission, and yet I still drool when she comes into view. Love!


"Morgan" from Priscilla of Boston's Vineyard Collection


The consultant let me try her on, knowing the ballgown cut and proportion would swallow my frame. I didn't even get a photo, she came off so fast. Frown-faced, I zipped into a lace fit-to-flare that was waaaaaay over budget. 


There's a small smile of relief



Like Miss Mole previously described, my early wedding vision gravitated toward Style Me Pretty's vintage-inspired, romantically rustic loveliness. Shifting my search to find the "perfect" version of this dress, I insisted on doing it alone so as not to be influenced by opinions other than my own. This decision was not my best idea ever. Then again, Mama Teacup was 2,000 miles away and I had to place an order soon.



There was something very 'look, but don't touch' about me in them. My reflection seemed pretty and it felt like how I wanted to be viewed by others - conservative, composed, in control. I'm realizing that this "safe" perception is my red flag of guardedness.

Just for grins, the consultant pulled something totally out of my criteria. I don't know the style, but many of you will recognize it. What I do remember is how FUN it felt to wear!

My inner self exposed. Quick, get back to safety!

With one final appointment at another shop to go, I was ready to buy something and move on to other important wedding tasks. I had my criteria down: romantic, lace, fit & flare, semi-sweetheart, no corset. My new consultant pulled the "Cambridge" by Blue by Enzoani, wrapped the "Diana" belt around my waist and started to tear up. And she said she never cries! So much for no external influence...


The belt sold it for me, I love that beautifully crafted creation. There I am, all ready to get married. No tears, no jumping. Safely guarded and in control - look, but don't touch. I left I trying to happy dance, but I'll admit now it felt forced. 

But I had done the impossible, right? I found "the one" within budget and meeting all my perceptions of what I thought I wanted. Unfortunately, my methodology would eventually backfire. It would cost five months, lost deposits, and a pink dress to learn that I couldn't analyze away my feelings.


How did your dress shopping experience compare to mine? Did you know what you wanted right from the start and stay true to your vision? Or did you come to a completely different decision? What feelings or self discoveries did you make in the process?




* In case you missed the teaser pic from our big day and don't want to wait for a future post to see dress #2, you can find it and a huge grin on my face here. *

1 comment:

  1. That's how I remembered you to start with on WB 'PinkSequins' the one with Cambridge. And that's to do with my own 2nd obsession. I fell in love with my dress as soon as I saw it on the internet. However, the thought of lace entered my mind and my research found the Cambridge and that's how I found WB. I didn't get to try her on but from trying on other mermaid cut dresses I wouldn't have gone for it as my knees felt restricted.
    You're right you can see your guarded in some of those.

    ReplyDelete