Thursday, October 27

PRE-CAP: Discovering dress regret - IT happens

3,700. The number of times we have typed "dress regret" on the WB boards. Why then was I oblivious to this potential pitfall until it actually happened to me? After choosing the "Cambridge" I was done looking, or so I thought. 


I mustered the courage to finally introduce myself on the boards and post a dress photo. Perhaps you remember my sassy avatar and if it's out on the internet it must be truth, right?



Then IT happened. By IT I'm referring to the union of Vera Wang and David's Bridal. Maybe you remember when Vera captivated the wedding world in early February by launching her "White" line to be sold exclusively at DB. If you so much as sneezed near a bridal blog you couldn't have missed IT, IT was everywhere.

My knowledge about Vera Wang wedding gowns was limited to two facts: 1) she was a high-end designer and 2) outside my price point. I knew nothing of her esthetic or influence. I'm also something of a snob about DB because of a horrible store experience years earlier. All this to say that I had zero interest in IT.

But the press, commentary and critique never seemed to end. Alright already, what's the big freaking deal?! I gave in, clicked over to the DB website and there IT was. My. Heart. Stopped. 

Photo credit: David's Bridal, courtesy of Vera Wang


WTH?!? I felt hot. My heart was pounding and I thought I might puke or pass out. I had never experienced a reaction like this and for a dress?!? I wanted to jump up and down and scream out loud. What was happening to me?!? IT was nothing like my dress choice, save the fit-and-flare silhouette. IT had that voluminous skirt. IT was pink, for goodness sakes. IT was love at first sight.

I tried to resist, and it took me a week to figure it out. IT one, Teacup zero.

Did you discover dress regret? When did you know your first dress choice wasn't "the one"? How did you reconcile the conflict, did you stick with your initial pick or go with your gut for the new gown? How did your final decision affect your feelings - were you happy with IT?

3 comments:

  1. My knowledge of Vera Wang was exactly the same as yours as you described. I remember your Cambridge post (obviously)

    The first dress I tried wasn't my dress (my dream) it had straps and was A-line with some simple rouching and it made me cry but this confused me making me think it was threfore the one. I tried on a fit n flare and it cut me off at the kneww so I thought my dream was out of grasp. So the strap dress it was until looking at photos and I looked old and frumpy, then I got to try on and buy my dream.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and bless you, to have that sort of reaction to a drss you'd never seen or heard of before it sure was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely, both dresses, really. I didn't have dress regret, but I did make the mistake of trying on "real" Vera Wang's at Saks and the $10k price tag was enough to make me forget about the princess fantasy I had while I was in a GOLD gown that felt like IT. Nope, never looked back, super happy with my dress in the end, plus, and I know everyone says this, but after 7 years I know it's true, : it's actually all about the marriage. Better to have a bad dress/disastrous ceremony/lost pictures/canceled honeymoon (which have all happened to friends) than to have a divorce. Which, is happened to way too many friends who had "perfect" weddings 2-12ish years ago.

    ReplyDelete